A fantastic opportunity for a Development Engineer within an established and growing company located in the centre of Birmingham with a strong reputation in the automotive and test industries.
The main function of this position is to design, develop and test embedded electronic systems for a wide range of microcontroller based products. These product applications serve both internal and external customers.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Participate in customer requirements capture, solution conceptualization, proposal and specification
- Design and development of electronic hardware based on agreed specifications. Schematic capture, PCB layout and Bill-of Materials generation and maintenance
- Design, develop, test and maintain embedded microcontroller software based on agreed specifications
- Design validation and testing of electronic equipment
- Liaison with customers, managing expectations and following project management guidelines
- Ensure the timely delivery of the agreed hardware, software, testing and documentation elements
- Ensure that systems are well documented, complying with our company QA/QC requirements
Qualification and education
- Essential: Electrical, Electronics or Systems degree, aiming for a 2:1 or above
- Ability to design digital, analogue and mixed signal electronic hardware
- Fully proficient in C programming for popular embedded microcontrollers
- Ability to use appropriate software design methodologies for different applications
- Familiar with the use of development environments such as Microchip MPLAB X, Eclipse or Keil Microvision
- Familiar with embedded debugging techniques such as the use of debuggers and/or serial consoles
- Comfortable to use industry standard test equipment to validate and debug prototype product hardware
- Familiarity with standard processor/peripheral busses such as SPI, I2C etc.
- Understanding of communication physical layers such as RS232, CAN, LIN and Ethernet
- Fully proficient in general office packages such as Microsoft Office
You must have excellent organisational, analytical and well developed interpersonal skills with an ability to deal with technical issues and make timely, sound decisions with minimal consultation.
We are looking for people who can work without having to be heavily supervised, but can be relied upon to produce quality work in a dynamic environment. Self-motivation, discipline, quick thinking and strong problem solving skills are important, as is the tenacity to stick with and resolve a problem. Good general personal presentation and professional communication standards are expected.
We are looking for a permanent position and a competitive salary and pension will be offered based on experience.
All applications for any position at Sorion Electronics MUST include a completed standard Sorion Employment Application Form and this should be submitted along with your CV either by post or emailed to jobs(at)sorion.co.uk.
Sorion welcomes speculative applications from proactive individuals with a desire to further their career.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES
Sorion does not accept unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies.